President Trump was right to announce Tuesday that he will immediately stop funding the World Health Organization, which was scheduled to get $893 million from the U.S. in the current two-year funding period.
The president’s action is the first step needed to spark meaningful reform of the United Nations organization and the global health architecture.
Trump last week signaled he was unhappy with the WHO. In an interview aired April 7 on “Hannity” on Fox News, Trump suggested the U.S. might stop contributing to the organization.
GORDON G. CHANG: TRUMP RIGHT TO ATTACK WHO ON CORONAVIRUS – UN AGENCY DESERVES EVEN HARSHER CRITICISM
By Tuesday, Trump had seen enough.
“So much death has been caused by their mistakes,” Trump said of the WHO. He is absolutely correct.
The WHO helped spread the coronavirus in four principal ways.
First, in public the WHO disseminated China’s false narrative that the virus was not transmissible person-to-person.
UN’S GUTERRES CRITICIZES TRUMP’S MOVE TO CUT WHO FUNDING: ‘NOT THE TIME’
The U.N. organization, however, knew or should have known the Chinese government was not telling the truth. Among other things, Taiwan on Dec. 31 told the U.N. body it suspected the pathogen was contagious in this fashion – and WHO professionals also knew that to be the case.